May 14, 2011

Weekend Recipe: Grilled Chicken Tacos

So in a previous post I talked about sharing recipes with you all.  I know I said I wanted to let you all decide where I should post them, but this one could not wait.  My mother recently found a recipe for grilled chicken tacos on the cover of Family Circle magazine, and so we made them the other night for dinner.

Family Circle- April 2011
My mom is known for experimenting, so I was a little skeptical at first.  But they turned out to be really good, and easy!  We set up each side on the counter in a "pick and choose" way, and my brother said he felt like he was at Chipotle.  The recipe itself is pretty easy, but somehow we always end up substituting ingredients.  And that is where the prep time increases.  Below you'll find the recipe and what subs were made.  Hope you try and enjoy!

Grilled Chicken Tacos
Makes: 8 (give or take)  Prep:15 mins  Grill: 12 mins

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lbs  boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets  *see below for sub
  • 1  tsp.  adobo seasoning salt (such as Goya)  *see below for sub
  • 1  package  small flour tortillas (8 per package) 
  • Fresh Salsa (recipe at familycircle.com/salsa)  *see below for sub
  • guacamole (recipe at familycircle.com/guacamole) *see below for sub

Directions

1. If needed, pound chicken to even thickness. Sprinkle adobo seasoning salt onto both sides of the chicken.
2. Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Lightly coat grill rack with oil. For broiler method, see Note, below. Grill chicken until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board.
3. Cut chicken crossways into thin strips. To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup chicken strips onto a tortilla. Add Fresh Salsa, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream and Guacamole.
Note. Heat broiler to high. Broil chicken until
cooked through, about 6 or 7 minutes per side.

*Substitutes*
Chicken:  we used frozen pre-cooked grilled chicken strips.  If you choose to do this, set them out to defrost or defrost them in the microwave.  Throw the adobo seasoning on them and put them in a skillet.  Cook for about 8-10 mins and serve.
Adobo:  We could not find this type of seasoning in the store, so I searched around online and below is what I came up with.  It makes a good amount, so you can use it several times before having to make it again:
3 tbsp- sea salt or kosher
3 tbsp- onion powder
3 tbsp- garlic powder
3 tbsp- ground black pepper (freshly ground is preferred)
1 1/2 tsp- dried Mexican oregano
1 1/2 tsp- cumin
1 tsp- chipotle chile powder
If you choose to make this be careful spices can be pricey depending on the store and the brand.  You can often get lucky and find some of these spices for cheap at a 99 cent store or Dollar Tree.  Luckily we cook a lot and usually have all of those ingredients on hand.
Salsa:  We did not make this, just used our favorite packaged salsa.
Guacamole:  Same as the salsa we used the store bought stuff.
My version minus the guacamole, sour cream.  Added a side of Spanish rice.

2 comments:

  1. Looks incredibly YUMMY!

    So glad I found you through the Etsy Blog Team!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, and following! I'm excited to post more recipes, because this one was yummy! Headed to your blog now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...