Back then it was no big deal when you just threw on one shade of eye shadow over your whole eyelid. There were days of some awful lip liner, pencil eyebrows, and overall just some really bad makeup choices.
The good thing about today is that there are so many other options, and great makeup tools to help avoid those mistakes of the past. The thing is some may not know how to achieve the look they desire.
About a year ago before my wedding I started looking up makeup tutorials on Youtube and I came across a pretty awesome channel by a great makeup artist. It's called MakeupByTiffanyD, and it's great! Her channel is a great resource for reviews, tips, tutorials, and she even hold giveaways for some great products. She also has a blog to accompany her Youtube channel. She is really fun and upbeat in her videos, and I like the way she explains her steps.
Her videos have led me to find some really great and simple looks for myself that I just change up by using a different color scheme. She does some great simple videos, and more detailed ones. There are also great celebrity "get the look" videos. She does seem to grasp that not everything will work for every person, and that not everyone can buy the really expensive makeup and brushes. Instead you can match the colors you do have to what she is using and it will come out just as beautiful.
Although, I do believe that when it comes to brushes price does reflect quality, or at least with the brushes I have used. Some of my cheaper brushes have not held up as well, or the bristles feel rough against my skin. So brands big brands like M.A.C and Sigma do know what they are doing when it comes to brushes.
Some great brands/products that I used prior to and after watching her videos are listed below:
- dr. feelgood
- This is a great product made by Benefit Cosmetics. It has always made my face feel smooth and takes away the shine! Sometimes I would just wear this by itself with no makeup.
- E.L.F. - Great place for cheap brushes. I would recommend their "Studio" brushes over their "Essential" brushes. They are a bit more $3 compared to $1 per brush but they tend to hold up better. They also have lots of other affordable products that won't break your bank. Great sales too!
- Coastal Scents- They have some great makeup palettes! I have the 88 original and 88 shimmer palettes. Love them because I have a variety of colors to choose from. I also have several brushes from CS that are pretty nice and still on the cheaper side.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
- I love this primer (the original)! It seems like my eyeshadow lasts forever with this base. And it seems like I am able to blend my shadows better. Right now it is being offered this in a squeeze tube, instead of the normal bottle with application wand.
- Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion, Flash
- This has been my friend for a long time. *smiles* I use it as a highlighter on my cheeks. All you need is a few small dabs in the spots you want, blend it, and instant glow!

