Oct 29, 2011

My Mother, My Inspiration

Hi Ya'll

Well this month has started off pretty crazy!  Found a place to live, that fell through, had to find a new place, and moved into that new place within a week.  Thankfully we're starting to get settled in to our place, and now I can start relaxing and blogging again!  With a new place comes new projects, and I'm so excited to start them.

Even though this month is almost over, I'm sure that most of you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  This month has always been special to me because my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago, and has been a survivor for over 15 years.  My mom is a strong woman and has overcome some big struggles during her lifetime.  I have always looked up to her and I wish that I have her strength one day.

So here are a few little facts about my mom, and why I'm so proud and thankful to have her as my mom...

My mom & I on my wedding day.
She is the second oldest of 7 children.
She first took on the motherly role when she was a high school aged teenager, taking care of her younger siblings after her mother passed away (and her dad a few years later).
She married my dad when they were both 17.
My mom had her first child at 18.
Not only was my mom (and dad) the guardian of her younger siblings, but my parents also had their own children to raise.
She had 3 boys close together, and then she had me 16 years after the 3rd boy.
She was diagnosed with, and is a breast cancer survivor.
After working various jobs over the years, she went back to school and received her license to be a dental assistant.
One more thing that I think is awesome, her beautiful gray hair. (Although, she's passed some gray on to me already!!!)

My mom has done so many great things, and everything in her life has made her the great woman she is today.  I hope one day my future children will look to at me as being a strong woman like my mom.  Being a cancer survivor is another great accomplishment in my mom's life.  I don't remember all the details because I was so young.  But I remember knowing that my mom was sick, and she had to have surgery to get better.

The day she had surgery it seemed like my whole family was there in the hospital.  I remember everyone seemed sad and worried, and I think that was the first time I saw one of my brothers cry.  After the surgery I remember the days we'd pick my mom up from the hospital from her treatments.  Looking back on that time I now know that my mom was so lucky.  I've seen cancer treatments take a lot out of someone, but my mom different.  She didn't lose her hair, she wasn't weak, and she kept working and taking care of us through it all.

At the time of her fight I was too young to realize what a great thing being a cancer survivor is.  I know hate is a strong word, but cancer is mean and it's ugly and I hate it!  I'm so thankful to have my mom here today, and I can't imagine my life without her in it.  If my dad sees this post he may show it to my mother, so mom, I love you and thank you for being you!

I wrote this post because I'll participating in the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure with my mother today.  Haven't worked up to doing the 5k run yet, but hopefully one day.  I've been doing it for a couple years with my Aunt, but I'm excited because this is the first year that my mom has joined us.  So I will be there as this post goes live, and I'll try to get a pic of me and my mom (she's camera shy).

Thank you all for letting me share the story of my mother with you.  I hope you all have shared great memories with your mothers as well.  If you'd like, I'd love to hear how your mothers have impacted your lives!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...