Jul 13, 2011

DIY Scrabble Tiles

Hi All!

Lately it seems that tons of people are becoming addicted to using scrabble tiles for other uses than just the board game.  For all of the Pinterest addicts, if you do a search for scrabble you'll come up with many different results from Scrabble nails to Scrabble pillows.  If any of you have smart phones that allow you to purchase apps, I'm sure you have heard of "Words With Friends."  Basically it's another form of Scrabble.  My mother recently got an iPhone and she is addicted to it and even I have to admit that I find myself playing it more than I should.  So to go along with this scrabble craze I made a simple DIY Scrabble tile project.  Once you're done you'll have tiles that you can use for numerous projects.

To get started you'll need some kraft or tan colored cardstock paper (I used a 12 x 12 inch sheet, but 8.5 x 11 inch works fine), a paper cutter or ruler and scissors, and a thin sharpie or pen.


Step 1

Take your paper and cut off 1 inch strips, and then cut those strips into 1 inch squares.  Keep cutting until you have enough squares to make at least 2 of each letter.  Cut extra squares if you'd like more of each letter.














Step 2

Now it is time to begin labeling the squares with letters and their values.  I used a thin sharpie so that the letters would not be too thick, but I did go over each letter a second time to make it slightly thicker.  The letter values are as follows:

1 point - A, E, I, L, N, O, R, S, T, and U
2 points - D and G
3 points - B, C, M, and P
4 points - F, H, V, W, and Y
5 points - K
8 points - J and X
10 points - Q and Z


Once you reach Z, you're done!  Now you have Scrabble tiles that you can use however you like.  Try using them in a scrap booking project or attach a magnet strip to the back and place some words on your fridge.


What do you think?  Are you loving the different ways people are using the Scrabble theme?  Let me know, I love comments!

Until next time...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...