Jun 3, 2011

DIY Cardstock Gift Boxes

Hello All!

So a couple of days ago I received an order in my Etsy shop, only to realize that I didn't have my usual gift packaging available to mail it.  I had to come up with something!  I searched all over the house for a small box, but nothing turned up.  Then I noticed that I had some extra heavy cardstock left over from some invites I made.  I usually measure my cuts before I cut, but I must have been feeling extra crafty that day because I just whipped out my cutter and got to work.  I loved the way the box turned out, and I just had to share it with you all. Pictures are included, and can be enlarged by clicking.

Here is what you'll need:
Paper trimmer (or scissors and a ruler), heavy cardstock (I used 8.5"x11"), and glue.


Step 1
You are going to make 4 lengthwise cuts.  Put the paper in the cutter as if you were cutting 1.5 inches off of the 8.5 inch side.  So the paper should be lined up with the 7 inch mark.  Cut into the paper 3 inches on each side, not all the way across.  Keep flipping the paper and cutting until you have 3 inch cuts on all 4 sides of the paper.  The end of your cuts will line up with the 3" and 8" marks on the ruler.

Base template: Dashed lines are cuts, Solid lines are folds
 

Step 2
You should now have 2 big tabs and 4 smaller tabs.  Fold the paper and make creases where all the cuts come to an end (as shown). 
 Step 3
Fold the small tabs up so that they overlap each other.  Bring the big tab up and fold it over them to create a crease (as shown).
 Step 4
Glue the to small tabs together, and then glue the big tab over the 2 smaller ones.
 Step 5
You should have a completed base for your box now (left).

Now repeat steps 1-5 above to make a top for your box.  However, your measurements should be slightly different because the top needs to be a little bigger.  Instead of the 1.5 inches measurement it will be 1.375 inches, which is just one dash to the left of the 1.5 mark on the ruler.  And instead of 3 inch long cuts it will be 2.875 inch cuts, which is one dash mark to the left of the 3 mark.

Measurement Examples: Blue is the base & Red is the top
Top and bottom box













Step 6
Enjoy!!













I had extra scraps of paper from my DIY wedding invites, so I decided to make a bow for my box. I thought it turned out cute.  Let me know if you like it.  Were my instructions to confusing or did the examples help?
I love comments!

6 comments:

  1. i wish i was crafty enough to do something like this!! so awesome!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think there is craftiness in everyone. I like to tell my friends that everyone is crafty, some just have a harder time finding it than others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth here from Etsypreneuer...this is a neat project and turned out beautifully. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth. Thanks, I'm glad you like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from #sits31dbbb! I love, love, love this tutorial and will definitely be making these. I am always looking for neat ways to package my soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Melissa, glad you like it! Let me know when you do, I'd love to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...